Headaches are among the most common public health problems affecting Indians, some surveys have stated that about one-third of Indian females and one-fifth of the males suffer from primary headache disorders. Most people in India use paracetamol tablets to get rid of their throbbing headaches regularly, they won’t think twice before consuming this medicine due to lack of knowledge about the side effects of this medicines. Certain research has revealed that even a minor Paracetamol overdose can be fatal and even result in death. In fact, the results of one survey have indicated that the Indian Paracetamol market has grown by as much as 47.2% very recently due to the availability of these medicines at a much lower price- lesser by about 35% than before. So, the time has now definitely arrived to spread awareness among the people about the harmful effects of this medicine. So, here in this article, the ways to control the problems of headaches without resorting to the use of Paracetamol are discussed.
Habituated to taking Paracetamol whenever you experience headaches? Here are the health risks that you could be exposing yourself to:
The medicine Paracetamol contains an ingredient named acetaminophen that might have some undesirable side effects. Though all of these negative effects may or may not occur, if they are seen in patients who are taking this medicine, then lack of immediate medical care can turn out to be serious. Some of the side effects of this medicine which is often used in controlling headaches which include both the rare as well as the more common ones are:
- Feelings of nausea as well as vomiting, pain in the abdominal area, diarrhea, constipation, expansion of the abdominal region, dyspepsia, decreased appetite
- Chronic fatigue, anemia, rashes, and hives
- Breathing difficulties, coughing
- Severe pain in the chest area, muscle spasms
- Problems with the central nervous system, sleeplessness, anxiety
- Metabolic issues such as hyperglycemia
- Bloody, dark-colored or cloudy excreta and urine etc..
Want to find out alternative ways of curing headaches to avoid the negative effects of Paracetamol?? Here are some suggestions in this direction that you might find to be useful:
Massage: It is an extremely effective alternative cure for headaches without taking Paracetamol or for that matter any other medicine. Due to the pressure that is exerted on the scalp in these massages, the blood circulation to your head and face get a boost and you feel relaxed.
- Massage by applying pressure on that area of your head which is located close to your hairline
- Massage your face from the back of your neck up to the bottom of your skull.
- Aromatherapy or the usage of the necessary vital oils is also recommended to enhance the effect of your massage sessions
Food Choices: if you want to prevent a headache, always avoid processed and junk foods, because monosodium glutamate is mostly found in fast foods, it negatively affects your nerve cells or neurons by stimulating them thereby causes a headache.
- Ginger is one of the most trusted and effective natural headache remedies as it reduces inflammation, pain, nausea, and vomiting
- Flax seeds also have anti-inflammatory properties that can be quite useful in curing headaches
- Cayennes is an important substitute for painkiller medications it drastically reduces pain experienced due to headaches, as it contains a substance called capsaicin which removes or reduces a certain pain-causing chemical that transmits signals of pain to your brain.
- Apples help to maintain an optimum balance of acids and alkalis in your body, thereby reduces a headache.
- Potatoes can be consumed by those who suffer from headaches due to excessive binge drinking since alcohol removes potassium from the body and potatoes have high potassium content so, thus helps to treat headaches by restoring the potassium balance in your body.
- Almonds are very rich in magnesium and salicin which helps immensely in the relaxation of your blood vessels and also has pain-alleviating properties which can lessen the impact of headaches to a quite significant extent.
- Hydrate your body by drinking lots of water, as dehydration can lead to headaches since it lessens the levels of oxygen and blood flow to your brain. Have fruit juices which are high in the water as well as magnesium content such as watermelon juice etc..
- Green tea, chamomile tea and certain other varieties of tea contain very little caffeine which increases your energy level and alleviates pain. The pleasant aroma of these beverages reduces inflammations and spasms and greatly calms and soothes your mind.
- Yogurt is another important food item that must be included in your diet because it is an important source of minerals, calcium, and probiotics that improve the condition and operating capacity of the brain and also helps in recovering from headaches since it does not remove useful bacteria from your body, unlike medicines. Thus, a proper diet is also essential for controlling headaches instead of just taking medicines such as Paracetamol.
Warm or cold compress: Apply hot compress or take a hot shower if your headache is a result of stress likewise apply cot compress or take a cold shower if your headache is caused by the extension of the blood vessels.
Adequate rest: In the overwhelming majority of individuals, headaches are caused due to lack of rest as a result of excessive work pressure etc. If you continue to work despite suffering from headaches, then your health condition is sure to worsen. So, taking adequate rest and a good night’s sleep is of paramount importance in this regard. You can rest or sleep by finding yourself a serene location in order to give your mind and your body a much-needed relaxation. Always keep in mind that if you take adequate rest, headaches will vanish in most of the cases. But along with lack of sleep, sleeping too much can also result in headaches. So, you are advised to get around 7-8 hours of sound sleep every single night.
Active lifestyle: Most crucial and effective natural cure for headaches is a healthy and active lifestyle, regular exercise discharges a hormone known as endorphin which soothes and calms the mind and reduces feelings of pain, irritation, and discomfort.
Yoga and meditation: It can not only cure but also prevent headaches from occurring altogether. Daily practice of yoga and meditation can improve your posture and breathe along with calming and relaxing the body and the mind. These breathing techniques can help in hugely reducing the severity of headaches and if you practice them regularly, you will find that headaches rarely occur. One thing to always keep in mind here is that you must never ever forget to warm up and cool down by stretching out your body prior to and post the yoga session. If you do not do this, then your chances of having headaches are more likely to go up instead of going down.
If you adopt these simple measures, it can save you from headaches and successfully control them without harming your health in any way, then why should you opt for medicines such as Paracetamol which has been found to have proven ill effects on your body system? In case you are still pondering over and are unsure about or having second thoughts on the right decision to make in this matter, then just remember the fact that ” The healthy lifestyle choices made today after gathering the proper knowledge and diligently following the correct advice will pave the way for a healthier, happier and brighter tomorrow. Your future has always been in your own hands and it is determined to a very large extent by your physical and mental health along with the kind of lifestyle choices that you make and follow. So, choose wisely because your present decisions concerning your health can have such major future repercussions that you could not have imagined them even in your wildest dreams!
Image Source: Google Images