As people across the world wade through these unprecedented times, there are concerns emerging about what one should eat and how to prepare food to maximize the intake of vital vitamins, proteins, anti-oxidants and other micro-nutrients in order to boost one’s immunity. Nutrition plays a vital role in care during recovery of Covid-19. A healthy, immunity boosting diet can impact the recovery time and an individual’s ability to return to doing things that matter most to them. People who eat a well-balanced diet tend to be healthier with stronger immune systems and lower risk of chronic illnesses and infectious diseases.
A diet for an individual fighting or preventing Covid-19 can be as below.
On waking up
1 glass lukewarm water with a pinch cinnamon powder + 1 clove garlic
After 30 min
1 cup lemon green tea with ½ tsp honey + 2-3 almonds
1 cup Skimmed milk OR 1 cup Ginger tulsi tea + 1 bowl poha OR 1 bowl vegetable upma OR 2 egg white omelette + 2 slice whole wheat bread OR 2 methi thepla/ 2 thalipeeth + curd OR 2 besan chilla/pudla + coriander chutney
1 bowl fruits (papaya, apple, pomegranate, watermelon) + 1 glass fresh lime water OR tender coconut water
1 bowl rice OR 2 chappati + 1 cup dal/kadhi/ amti + 1 cup vegetable +salad + 1 cup curd
(Non-vegetarians can have 1 whole egg or 2 pieces of chicken cooked or 2 pieces fish in less oil and masala)
1 cup ginger tulsi tea + 1 cup roasted channa + 1 small banana
1 bowl rice OR 2 chappati + 1 cup dal/kadhi/amti + 1 cup vegetable +salad + 1 cup curd
(Non-vegetarians can have 1 whole egg)
1 cup skimmed milk + ¼ tsp organic turmeric powder+ 1 pinch pepper powder+ ½ tsp honey
Points to Remember
- Consume 8- 10 glasses water and stay hydrated. Water helps in transporting nutrients in the blood, regulates body temperature, gets rid of waste and lubricates joints.
- Eat whole grains such as brown rice, whole wheat ﬂour, oats, millets, etc.
- Include beans, lentils & pulses as these are good sources of protein.
- Consume fruits and vegetables like capsicum, oranges, tomato, mushrooms, beans, green leafy vegetables, lemons daily.
- Citrus fruits like lemons, oranges and sweet lime are a good source of Vit C which is key in improving immunity levels & to ﬁght off infections.
- Include spices like cinnamon, ginger, garlic & turmeric which are natural immunity boosters.
- Consume home cooked fresh food. Avoid eating from out.
- Limit the consumption of sugar, oils and spices.
- Consume lean non veg foods like eggs, chicken & fish and not more than 3-4 times a week.
- Do not consume processed and junk foods like cookies, chips, instant noodles etc.
- Do not overcook vegetables as this can lead to the loss of important vitamins.
- Consume low fat milk and dairy products
Consume a nutritious immunity boosting diet and practice some yoga and deep breathing for 15-20 min (if your body allows).
Also remember the above-mentioned diet and tips are not a cure for corona virus. They are a way to improve your immunity and fight the infections.
Remember- Stay home, eat healthy and stay safe.